AFIA KOBI AMPEM GIRLS SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
To become a model Science School for girls and to provide a comprehensive academic and skills acquisition foundation for the girls to pursue further academic studies or develop their skills to become functional in the society.
A commitment to provide relevant education to students to enable them acquire the necessary skills that will assist them to identify their talents, and to develop their potentials to become productive in future to contribute to the socio-economic development of the country.
- SCHOOL CREST AND MOTTO
- The capital letters on top is the abridged form of the name of the school
- The stool signifies the royalty of the school
- The book on top of the stool is the formal education that will make the individual knowledgeable
- The torch also signifies how one uses knowledge acquired to help develop the society in such a way that it becomes functional to live in
- BRIEF HISTORY
The school was built by the government of Ghana in October, 1975. It was in agreement with the educational policy of making Secondary Education accessible to many school going children. As a community school, it was co-educational institution under the name Trabuom Secondary School.
However in the course of time, the name was changed to Atwimaman Secondary School to give it the character of the traditional area of its location and maintaining its co-educational status.
Now the school is called Afua Kobi Ampem Girls’ Senior High School because when Otumfour Osei Tutu II ascended the Golden Stool, he adopted the school and named it after his mother who is also the queen mother of the Asante Kingdom.
Therefore, for the thirty years of its establishment, the school has gone through some remarkable changes
The school is situated at Trabuom which is 22 kilometers West of Kumasi in the Atwim Kwanwoma District.
Important School Dates
On 24th September, 2002 the name of the school was changed to Afua Kobi Ampem Girls’ Senior High School.
On 27th October, 1975, the school was formally opened with 20 students as Trabuom Secondary School.
Status: The school is predominantly a boarding girls school.
- MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS OVER THE YEARS
- The school since its inception has produced numerous classes of personalities for the manpower needs of the country. Notably among them are lawyers, medical doctors, nurses, mid-wives, University lecturers, Accountants, Teachers for basic and Secondary Schools, successful businessmen and women, Pastors etc.
- The school over the past years has qualified for the super-zonal athletics competition. For the past four years, the school has also won the most disciplined school award during the inter-zonal athletics competition.
- SCHOOL FACILITIES
(a) 24 classrooms are in (2) two-storey building; 6 classrooms in one unit block
(b) Laboratories: The school has a well equipped laboratory with the state of the art scientific equipment
(c) Library – Currently, we have a one room apartment in the administration block serving as a library. The new library complex is under construction.
- Non Academic
The school has a football field with standard stadium measurement which is adequately grassed and a volleyball pitch.
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
- General Arts: French, Literature, Government Christian Religious Studies, Asante Twi, Literature, Government, Economics, Geography, Elective Mathematics
- Home Economics – Food and Nutrition, Management-in-Living, G.K.A., Biology
- Visual Arts: Picture Making/Graphic Design, Textiles/Leather Work, G.K.A., Economics
- Science: Biology, Physics, Elective Mathematics, Chemistry, Geography
- Agriculture: General Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Chemistry Elective Mathematics
- CO-CURRICULA ACTIVITIES
In pursuance of holistic education for our girls the school has a range of exciting clubs and societies.
- Scripture Union
- Cadet Corps
- Non-Denomination Choir
- Ambassadors of Christ
- Literary Group
- Drama Troupe
- Writers and Debators Club
- Red Cross
- Cultural Group
- Seminars and Retreats by Religious and other social organization
- Take by motivational speakers on health, academic excellence and self motivation.
(i) Old Student Association
This is a small but vibrant group (OWOAHENE) their president is Dr. Berko Acheampong
(ii) Parent Teacher Association – P.T.A.
A very supportive association the chairman is Nana Gyau Nantwi who is also the old student.
The chief of Trabuom, Nana Asumah Karikari II and his elders gave 97km square land for the establishment of the school. The P.T.A. has also built a fence wall to secure this property
(iii) District Assembly
The school is in Atwima Kwanwoma one of the newly created District in the Ashanti Region.
- Monday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Tuesday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Wednesday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Friday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM