BONGO SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
The vision of Bongo Senior High School is to become a second home with adequate Teaching and Leaning Resources, staffing and conducive environment where teachers, students and workers go about their normal duties in an atmosphere of peace, unity and harmony.
The mission of Bongo Senior High School is to produce disciplined graduates empowered with the requisite knowledge, skills, attitudes and values that will make them contribute positively towards the development of their communities and the nation as a whole
- SCHOOL CREST AND MOTTO
Motto: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
- BRIEF HISTORY OF SCHOOL:
Bongo Senior High School was established on 1st January 1991. It was carved out of the Bongo Local Authority Primary School and Started as a community day secondary school. The first Headmaster of the school was Mr. Asige Simon who occupied the position till 2004. The school started with staff strength of four (4) and fifty (50) pioneer students. Courses offered at that time were mainly General Arts, Home science and General science. The General Science program was later dropped due to staff and logistical constraints until 2007/2008 academic year when the program was reinstituted. Green was the official uniform for students until 2004/2005 when it was changed to pink by the then acting Headmaster Mr. Akuto Peter.
The current Headmaster is Mr. Baba-Yarful Samuel. The school is now a boarding school enjoying feeding grants from the government of Ghana. It must however be added that due to inadequate accommodation facilities, most of the students are non-residential.
- Location: The school is situated in the centre of the district capital and it overlooks the District Assembly and the Bongo District Hospital. It is fifteen kilometers (15km) away from the regional capital Bolgatanga-Upper East Region.
- Telephone Number: 072-94166, Headmaster’s no:0243833189
- Important School Date: Bongo Senior High School Held a Speech and Price Given Day on 6th July 2002 and the Theme was “Education and the Role of Parents”. The school is planning to organize another Speech and Price Given Day.
- MAJOR ACHIEVEMENT OVER THE YEARS
- SSCE: Performance in SSCE has been improving since the establishment of the school in 1991.
- WASSCE: Bongo Senior High School scored 67.4% and the best aggregate was 24 in the maiden WASSCE in 2006. However, in 2007 the performance hit a historical record of 100% and the best aggregate was 17. Also in 2008 the school achieved a 100% 21 out of 141 students qualified to enter the university and best aggregate was 19. In 2009 general performance was 100%, best aggregate was 15 and 101 out of 207 qualified to enter tertiary institutions.
- National Science and Mathematics Quiz: The school has not participated in any of the national science and mathematics quizzes but plans to compete in the near future.
- Regional Games: In 2007 the school participated in cross country competition at the regional level. In addition the school excelled in table tennis and Female football competitions in 2009 at the regional games and represented the Upper East Region at the national level. The School also participated in Cross country, 5000m and 3000m competitions at the national level in the same year.
- SCHOOL FACILITIES
- Academic facilities:
- Classrooms: There are currently two blocks housing form one and two students. The form three students are using the visual arts block which also accommodates the library and some administrative offices.
- Home science department: The school has a partially equipped home science department which is sharing the same block with the Information and Communications Centre.
- Laboratory: There are currently two blocks that house the Biology and the Chemistry laboratories. Both laboratories are however barely equipped. Currently, due to inadequate classroom structures the physics laboratory is being used as a classroom.
- Library: The library has forty (40) chairs, nine (9) tables, and three (3) long tables. Though it has fans, it is not air-conditioned.
|Students reading under a Baobab tree|
- DStv Facility: By courtesy of Multichoice Ghana, Bongo Senior High School enjoys the services of Digital Satellite television (Dstv). It was donated to the school in August 2008 and it has since been used for purely academic purposes.
- Non academic:
- Recreational grounds:. A volley ball court has recently been constructed to suit the needs of the sports department. Table tennis facilities are also available for training sessions.
- Assembly/dining hall: Dining and assembly halls are currently under construction through the sponsorship of the Government of Ghana. Part of the visual arts block is presently used as an Assembly Hall.
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
- Home Economics: Management in living, Food and Nutrition, Clothing and Textiles, Chemistry, Biology
- General Science: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Elective Mathematics
- General Arts: Literature in English, Christian Religious Studies, Geography, Economics, History, Government, Elective Mathematics
- CO-CURRICULA ACTIVITIES:
Bongo Senior High school has a very active and upbeat Drama and Cultural club. The cultural group has performed and won the 2008 cultural competition at the regional level. A debating club, Human Rights and Constitutional club also exist in the school. The Scripture Union, Muslim Students Union and Catholic Students Union are groups that cannot be overlooked in the Bongo Senior High school since they contribute immensely towards the spiritual edification of students.
|Greeting inscribed on a rock when entering bongo town|
- Old Students: The school has old students association. Executives and positions held are listed below;
- PTA Executives: Bongo Senior High School can boast of a vibrant and proactive PTA membership.
- Traditional Authority: Naba Alemyaarom Baba Salifu is the paramount chief of Bongo traditional area. The land custodian is the Tindaana.
- District Assembly: The current District Chief Executive of Bongo is Hon.Atiah Clement. The assembly has seven area councils
- Monday Open all day
- Tuesday Open all day
- Wednesday Open all day
- Thursday Open all day
- Friday Open all day
- Saturday Open all day
- Sunday Open all day