GUAKRO EFFAH SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
Our mission is to bring quality secondary education to empower children from low-income families to maximize their personal, creative and academic potential
- OUR VISION
Our vision is to create a safe and conducive learning community that motivates students to excel and realize their full potential.
- HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
Guakro Effah Senior High School started as a community school in 1987. During this period, the school was managed and financed by the community. In 1990, however, the school was absorbed by the Government. Moreover, since then the school continues to operate as a public facility.
- ACHIEVEMENTS OVER THE YEARS
TREND ANALYSIS OF WASSCE/SSSCE RESULTS
|YEAR||PERENTAGE PASSED (%)|
There were persistent high failing grades in mathematics and English.
Parent Teachers Association
The school strives to ensure that parents are partners in their children’s education. There is a functional Parent Teachers Association, which meets at least once a term. Headmaster and teachers make extra efforts to be inviting, welcoming and accessible to all parents. The school proactively reaches out to involve parents before there is a crisis. Rate of involving parents and community in decision-making is about 64%.
Old Students Association
There is no effective old student Association. However, sporadic support usually emerges as the need arises.
The school was started through the efforts of Nana Kwasi Fah since then the local traditional authority feel the ownership of the school. The Offuman traditional authority continues to support the school in diverse ways. For example, from 2001 to 2005 the Queen mother gave out her house for use as a girls’ hostel.
The responsibilities among Assemblies regarding education activities make no exceptions for Guakro Effah Senior High School. The Techiman Municipal Assembly has been responsible for the school. The Assembly’s support includes computers, cement, educational materials and other specialized support services.
- FACILITIES AND RESOURCES
In its modesty, the school has the resources required the provide suitable education experiences for each student.
- School Building: The school has two main blocks. The first established in 1980 is quite old and dilapidated. This block comprises six classrooms. One of the classrooms has been converted into a library and a typing pool. The second block has three large classrooms with offices attached. One of these rooms serves as a multipurpose hall for whole school activities such as worship and entertainment.
- Curriculum Materials: There are syllabuses for all the subjects taught in the school. The textbook ratio in the core subjects is 2:1, for all the elective subjects the ratio is almost 1:1.
- Equipment / tools: The school has three computers. There are three-television sets that enhance the distance-learning programme.
- Others: The school has electricity, toilets and a water hand pump. There is an old Isusu pickup, which is currently grounded.
- Library: There is a make shift library containing a collection of about 1,600 books. Most of the books are rather old.
- Laboratory: The school is pursuing pure physics but there are no laboratories. There is however a large room with long tables for minor ‘lab less’ experiments.
Recreation and Sport
There are opportunities for students to compete in sport or simply participate in physical activity and recreation sports organized by the school include athletics, football, volley ball.
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
Agriculture Science: General Agriculture, Horticulture, Crop Husbandry, Physics
- Monday Open all day
- Tuesday Open all day
- Wednesday Open all day
- Thursday Open all day
- Friday Open all day
- Saturday Open all day
- Sunday Open all day