MFANTSIMAN GIRLS’ SECONDARY SCHOOL
In recognition of the immense and significant role the women of Saltpond played in the struggle for the nation’s independence fifty years ago, Mfantsiman Girls Secondary School, originally known as Saltpond Girls, was established to provide relevant education to girls at the second cycle level to enable them acquire skills that will assist them to develop their potentials to be productive in order to facilitate poverty alleviation, and promote socio-economic growth and national development.
Mfantsiman Girls Secondary School was opened on 30th September, 1960, as one of the Ghana Education Trust (GET) Schools. The School started as an exclusive Girls’ School and prepared students for the General Certificate of Education – Ordinary Level (G.C.E. ‘O’ Level); then the School Certificate / General Certificate of Education – Ordinary & Advanced Levels (SSCE/GCE ‘O’ & ‘A’ Levels) Examination, and the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE), the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). Presently, the school is about to start the Senior High School Programme.
With the introduction of the Senior Secondary School (SSS) System, the School offers five (5) Programmes: Agricultural Science, Vocational (Home Economics/Visual Arts) , General Arts, Business, and General Science.
2. PROGRAMMES AND SUBJECTS COMBINATIONS
General Science: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (Elective), Biology, Geography
Agricultural Science: General Agriculture + Any three of the following
• Animal Husbandry/Crop Husbandry
• Mathematics (Elective)
General Arts: French, Fante, Geography, Christian Religious Studies, History, Economics, Government, Mathematics, Literature, ICT, Mathematics (Elective)
Business: Business Management, Costing, French, Mathematics, Accounting, Typing, Office Practices, Economics, Literature in English, ICT
Home Economics: Management in Living, Foods and Nutrition, Clothing and Textiles, Economics, General Knowledge in Art, French, Chemistry, ICT
Visual Arts: General Knowledge in Art, Leatherworks, Graphic Design, Textiles, Ceramics, Economics, Literature in English, Mathematics (Elective), French, Chemistry, ICT
3. CO-CURRICULA ACTIVITIES
The School organizes a lot of extra curricula activities including
• Sports and Games,
• Church organizations like the Ghana Methodist Students Union (GHAMSU), National Union of Presbyterian Students – Ghana (NUPS-G), Catholic Students Union, etc.
• Clubs like Ghana United Nations Students Association (GUNSA), Family Life Education Club (FLEC), Wildlife Club, Writers Drama and Debaters Club (WDDC), Ghana Red Cross Society, Parliamentary Club, Girls Guide Students and Youth Travel Organisation (SYTO) exit in the school.
• The school has a Police Cadet Corps.
• The School has an infirmary with a Professional Nurse and attendants.
• The school has a Counselling Department made up of five teachers.
- Monday Open all day
- Tuesday Open all day
- Wednesday Open all day
- Thursday Open all day
- Friday Open all day
- Saturday Open all day
- Sunday Open all day