OPOKU WARE SCHOOL – KUMASI
TEL.: 0322023825 ; 0322023812
To put in place efficient and effective
- Management machinery and practice of open administration to meet the expectation of stakeholders.
- Supervision to ensure quality teaching and learning and judicious use of resources.
- Disciplinary practices to ensure harmony on campus,
- Measures to maintain and care for facilities, infrastructure and the environment to their best possible state of use and friendliness and to improve school academic performance in classroom work and in examination results and to be reckoned among the top schools in the country and,
- Preparations to participate and win awards in school sports, regional and national, and other school competitions.
The civil state of the Gold Coast and the Asanteman Traditional Authority prompted by the Roman Catholic Mission of the Kumasi Diocese founded the school and entrusted it with the Catholics to administer and develop
- holistic and quality secondary education for a strong base for tertiary education and training in careers and professions for nation building.
- in students the appreciation and practice of moral uprightness and gospel values as taught by the Catholic tradition
- a school environment and experiences which will impart sound psychological balance and respect for socio/cultural imperatives.
DEUS LUX SCIENTIAE
(GOD IS THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE)
- BRIEF HISTORY OF INSTITUTION
The Catholic faithful in the Ashanti Region, handicapped by the absence of a Catholic Secondary Schools to educate their wards according to the Catholic philosophy of education had to send their wards to schools in Cape Coast and Accra.
The Catholic parishioners in the region saw it a burden and made an appeal to the government through their Bishop for a Catholic school in the region.
The government responded from 1949 onwards and in1952 opened this school under Roman Catholic Administration. It was named Yaa Asantewaa Secondary School (after a great Asante Queen and warrior), and was later renamed Opoku Ware School upon the advice by the then Asantehene Otumfuo Nana Sir Osei Agyemang Prempeh II to befit its status as a boys School.
- Location: FANKYENEBRA –SANTASI. KUMASI (ASHANTI)
- Important School Dates:
- a) St Thomas Acquinas Day – 28th January
- b) Homecoming/Founders Day– 2nd Saturday of February.
- c) Speech and Prize Giving Day – 3rd Saturday of March.
- d) Bishop’s Pastoral Visit/Feast of Christ the King – November
- MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS OVER THE YEARS
ii WASSCE: 100% Passes
iii National Science and Mathematics Quiz –
Northern Sector Champions – 1995
National Runners Up – 1995, 2003, 2005, 2008
National Champions – 1997, 2002, 2004
iv Regional Games
- Athletics: Regional Champions – 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008
- Soccer: Regional Champions – 1998, Runners Up 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006
- Table Tennis: Regional Champions 1999, Runners Up 2000, 2001
- Hockey: Regional Champions – 1996, 2001; Runners Up 1997, 1998, 1999,2002, 2003, 2008
- Volley: Runners Up 1998
- Basketball: Regional Champions 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009
Runners Up 1999, 2006, 2009
- SCHOOL FACILITIES
- 35 Classrooms
- 2 complete Science Laboratories and 2 I. C. T. Laboratories
- 1 Library
- Non Academic
2 standard soccer fields, 1 athletics field, 1 basketball court, 1 volleyball court
- Academic Programmes
- General Science: Physics, Chemistry Biology, Mathematics
- Business (Accounting Option): Financial Accounting, Introduction to Business, Management, Economics, Elective Mathematics, Principles of Costing
- General Arts: Economics, Geography, C. R. S/Literature in English, Government, Asante Twi, French, Music, Elective Mathematics
- Co-Curricula Activities
Athletics, Sports, Choir, Cadet Corp, Other School Clubs and Societies
The Stake Holders of the school include the following:
- a) Central Government Through Ministry of Education
- b) The Roman Catholic Mission
- c) Traditional Authority
- d) The Board of Governors
- e) Metropolitan Assembly
- f) Parent Teacher Association
- g) Old Boys Association (both in and outside the country)
- Monday Open all day
- Tuesday Open all day
- Wednesday Open all day
- Thursday Open all day
- Friday Open all day
- Saturday Open all day
- Sunday Open all day