TAMALE GIRLS SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
To provide formal and relevant education to BECE female graduates to enable them acquire the requisite knowledge, skills and competencies for further training in tertiary institutions to become productive individuals.
To engage the services of qualified, competent and dedicated teachers in the school, and to maintain and encourage them to students who have been admitted, to enable them have access to tertiary institutions to be further trained to satisfy the manpower needs of the country.
- THE SCHOOL CREST AND MOTTO
- BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
NAME OF SCHOOL – Tamale Girls Senior High School
Tamale Girls Senior High School was established in 1998/99 academic year as the first girls Senior High School in Northern Region. The initiative of the establishment of the school was by the RAINS/CAMFED, an international NGO in collaboration with the Regional Coordinating Council (RCC) and Ghana Education Service to cater for the pressing needs for female institution in the Region.
The school started with an enrolment of 62 girls with 12 teachers. The initial programmes of study were General Arts and General Science. With the progression of the school, the enrolment as at 2009/10 stands at 1,107 with 36 teachers.
In 2003, the school was absorbed by the government (GES) as one of the government assisted secondary school.
The first acting Headmaster of the school in 1990 was Mr. Issah Issahaku (INSET). He was supported by an interim management board
In the year 2000, the first substantive headmistress of the school, Miss Mercy Amanquandoh was appointed. Upon her retirement, the second and the current headmistress, Hajia Mariatu Mohammed took over the administration of the school in January, 2010.
- MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS OVER THE YEARS
Academic Performance – Sssce/Wassce
|YEAR||SSSCE/WASSCE||NO. OF CANDIDATES||PERCENTAGE PASS (%)|
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
- Business (Accounting): Business Management, Principles of Costing Accounting, Economics
- General Science: Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics (Elective)
- General Arts: Lit-in-English, Economics, Government, History, Islamic Studies, Christian Religious Studies, French
- Old Students: – The school has old students who contribute towards the smooth running of the school.
- TRADITIONAL AUTHORITY: – Wamale Naa and Nanton Naa
- OTHERS: – RAINS/CAMFED – NGO
- Monday Open all day
- Tuesday Open all day
- Wednesday Open all day
- Thursday Open all day
- Friday Open all day
- Saturday Open all day
- Sunday Open all day