TEMA SECONDARY SCHOOL
Telephone Number: 233 – 22 – 202787, 233 – 22 – 203631 (Head’s direct line)
To strive, produce Best students in all spheres of life and not in Academic field only.
Working to maintain the school motto Only the Best
- SCHOOL CREST
The school’s crest depicts five important symbols. In the centre is an anchor cast in deep-sea. This represents Tema, the harbour township where the school occupies an important place. It also represents the virtues of hope self-confidence and self-reliance. Enclosing the anchor is a circle, the symbol perfection.
The beige and green flanking the circle were, from the start, the colours of the two sets of uniform for the boys and girls in this co-educational institution. And the maroon in the background of the crest symbolizes nobility and dignity in our indigenes culture. Bringing the symbols in vivid relief are gold bands, meant to indicate the high quality of institution and moral training for which the school stands.
The symbolisms of the crest together are summed up in the school’s motto NIL NISI OPTIMA, or ONLY THE BEST. It throws challenge to all members especially students of this renowned institution to aim always at nothing short of their best.
- BRIEF HISTORY OF THE INSTITUTION
Tema Secondary School was established on 22nd September 1961 by the Government of Dr. Osagyefo Kwame Nkrumah with the aim of expanding Secondary School Education in the country, under the Educational Trust Programme.
It motto is “Nil Nisi Optima” which means Only the Best. It is situated in Tema between Community 2 and Community 5.
Its first substantive Headmaster, the late Dr. F. K. Buah saw the school open on Friday, 22nd September, 1961 with an initial enrolment of one hundred and five (105) students. It began as a co-educational boarding school with sixty-one (61) boys and forty-four (44) girls.
Status of Institution: Day and Boarding
To date, the school has been headed by nine (9) heads – six (6) men and three (3) ladies.
Below are the various heads and their period of service.
- F. K. Buah – 1961 – 1975
- E. A. Lamptey – 1976 – 1982
- E. W. K. Agbeli – 1982 – 1986
- A. Yirenkyi – 1986 – 1989
- Abednego Adjepong – 1990 – 1996
- E. Owusu-Ansah – 1997 – 1999
- Victoria Opoku (Mrs.) – 1999 – 2001
- Eunice N. Quansah – 2001 – 2007
- Elizabeth A. Asare – 2008 to date
- MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS
The school has produced some prominent personalities for the country. To mention just a few examples:
- Jean Aka, former Managing Director of ECOBANK of blessed memory
- Yaw Akoto, Managing Director of BOST
- Kofi Ayisi, a scientist Nougouchi Memorial Institute
- Late Dr. K. Anyemedu, Snr. Lecturer, Law School
- P. C. Ankrah, a Director at National Investment Promotion Council
- I. C. Morrison, Medical Doctor, Shalom Clinic, Sakumono
- Major J. R. K. Tandoh (Rtd)
- Seth Ablorh – Manna Mission, Teshie
- Pastor Steve Wengham, Assemblies of God
- Carlos Ahenkorah, President of Ghana Institute of Frieght Forwarders
- Sylvia Deganus – Tema General Hospital
- Mrs. Dr. Doris Akwei, GHAPOHA Clinic
- SCHOOL FACILITIES
(a) Main Classroom Block consists of eighteen (18) classroom.
(b) Mecca Classroom Block consists of ten (10) classroom.
(c) Tema Metropolitan Assembly Classroom Block consist of six (6) classroom
(d) One Storey Home Economics Block
(e) Under African Development Bank project
- A six classroom block
- Visual Art block
- Computer Block
(d) Two Storey Science Block
- Two-storey Administration Block
- Playing Field for Football and Athletics
- Volleyball Pitch
- Basketball Court
- School Clinic
- PROGRAMMES AND SUBJECTS OFFERED
- Business (Accounting): Business Management, Business Mathematics & Principles of Costing, Principles of Accounting, Economics, Elective Mathematics, Type Writing
- Business (Secretarial): Type Writing, Clerical and Office Duties
- Vocational (Visual Arts: General Knowledge in Art, Graphic Design, Textiles, Music, Literature in English
- Vocational (Home Economics): General Knowledge in Art, Management in Living, Foods and Nutrition, Clothing and Textiles, Economics, French, Chemistry, Biology
- General Science: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Elective Mathematics, Geography
- General Arts: Literature in English, French, Asante Twi, Music, Christian Religious Studies, Geography, Economics, History, Government, Elective Mathematics
- Monday Open all day
- Tuesday Open all day
- Wednesday Open all day
- Thursday Open all day
- Friday Open all day
- Saturday Open all day
- Sunday Open all day