TWENE AMANFO SENIOR HIGH/TEHNICAL SCHOOL, SUNYANI
- BRIEF HISTORY
What is now Twene Amanfo Senior High/Technical School was commissioned as Sunyani Government School for Primary and Middle levels on 11th January, 1930 by Sir John Maxwell the then Colonial Administrator for Ashanti West.
In 1960, the school was renamed Sunyani High Street Primary and Middle Schools to cater for the increasing number of pupils. Following the 1971 Education Reform Programme, the school was turned into a continuation school and later became the first Experimental Junior Secondary School in Brong Ahafo.
On 1st September 1981, Sunyani High Street Experimental Junior Secondary School was upgraded to Senior Secondary School status and named Sunyani Day Secondary School. Following an appeal made by the Parent-Teacher Association to the Director-General of Education and the Commissioner of Education. The first headmaster was Mr. David A. Amankwaa.
At a colourful durbar in 1986, the Sunyani Traditional Council headed by the paramount Chief Nana Bosoma Nkrawiri and the Ghana Education Service renamed the School Twene Amanfo Secondary School after the second chief of the Sunyani Traditional Area. Mr. S. C. Gyamfih became the headmaster after Mr. David A. Amankwaa in 1991.
In September 1996, Mr. J. R. Agyemang Badu took over the baton of office as headmaster of the school, under his administration the school made great improvements in academic work, sports, enrolment and infrastructural development. Miss Georgina Boakye took over the administration of the school in 2003 and since then the school has seen great expansion in student enrolment, teaching and non-teaching, infrastructure and teaching learning/facilities.
- OUR MISSION
We aim at training the industry of the individual in the manifold varieties and in its organized totality to the highest pitch of excellence it is capable of attaining. Our job is to:
- Meticulously administer the Ghana Education Service curricula for Secondary and Technical/Vocational education to meet the needs of every student.
- Help our students to gain the best grades of which they are capable.
- Challenge our students to have a sense of wonder at what there is still to discover about themselves and the world.
- Empower our students with the personal and interpersonal skills necessary for their participation in the economic world.
- Show our students by precept and example the values of tolerance and respect for other people.
- Instil a sense of corporate and community contribution in all our students
- Provide our students with an understanding of the share culture of which they are part.
- Demonstrate the value of hard work in pursuit of personal goals
- OUR VISION
We envision a Twene Amanfo Senior High/Technical School that will be the epitome of learning excellence by all standards. Our Vision of Twene Amanfo is a school:
- Whose catchment area is the whole country and not just Sunyani and its environs, a vision that will be made possible by the provision of good hostel and boarding facilities through local initiative with assistance from government and donors.
- That is a centre of learning excellence where the academic technical/Vocational sporting and other talents are developed to their highest limits possible.
- Whose graduates will compete favorably with others from similar educational institutions for admission to tertiary institutions, not only in Ghana but also in other parts of the world or for placement in business and other organizations.
- With modern and suitable/appropriate teaching and learning facilities that will attract the best staff and students.
- That provides residential accommodation as affordable rent for her staff and gives them other incentives to boost their morale to make the vision of bringing the school to a level of excellence achievable.
Characteristics of the school and school and spurred on by the letters and spirits of the schools Motto: “First or with the first” a number of successes have been chalked.
- Since 2005, the school has chalking 100% pass in the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination and WACCE. This is unprecedented.
- The school emerged as the first in two successive year’s (2008, 2009) in the 6th March independence March –Past competition. A Television set and a set of jerseys were awarded to the school.
- The school won the 2000 National Valco Games and was the first in the zone ‘E’ soccer competition in the 2008 academic year.
- Again our school was the first in the Athletics competition among all Senior High Schools in Brong Ahafo.
OTHER RECENT ACHIEVEMENTS ARE:
- 1st and 2nd positions in the Regional and national Readers competition respectively.
- 2nd in the 2006 zone ‘E’ choral music competition
- 2nd position in the Brong Ahafo Toursim Quiz competition organized by the Ghana Tourist Board to promote the Tourism potentials of the region during the Brong Ahafo at 50 celebrations.
- Our school is in full flight and on the ascendancy to greatness with very strong under pinning of discipline among our teachers and students.
- PROGRAMMES OF STUDY
- General Arts: Geography, Economics, Twi (Asante), Elective Mathematics, Government, Christian Religious Studies
- Business: Accounting, Business Mathematics and Principles of Costing, Business Management, Economics, Elective Mathematics
- Science: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (Elective)
- Home Economics: Food and Nutrition, Clothing and Textiles, Management in Living, Chemistry, General Knowledge in Art.
- Visual Arts: General Knowledge in Art, Ceramics, Graphic Design, Economics.
- Technical: Physics, Elective Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Metalwork, Building, Construction, Woodwork
- Votec Section
The compulsory subjects for VOTEC are:
T V E T (Core), Trade Drawing, Trade Science, Trade Calculation, Entrepreneurship skills, Technology, Practicals.
- THE SCHOOL GREST
The school crest has three main symbols which are the Rising Sun, An opened book and an elephant.
The Rising Sun: Its interpretation is that the students should aims high in their quest to acquire academic lawrels. The sky should thus be their limit.
The Book: The book symbolizes the acquisition of Knowledge through learning in other words academic excellence.
The Elephant: The elephant symbolizes the naming of the town Sunyane – Asowdwae literary meaning a place where elephants after being hunted are bisected.
The Founder Day: This date is observed as silver jubilee that is after every twenty-five years.
- Monday Open all day
- Tuesday Open all day
- Wednesday Open all day
- Thursday Open all day
- Friday Open all day
- Saturday Open all day
- Sunday Open all day